The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few...
6.18.2005
Day 15
This day Heidi got up super early and went to a funeral with Esther. I didn't go because I wanted to sleep in...ended up sleeping in until 6am...I couldn't fall back asleep because of a bad dream I had had and so I decided to get up and do some painting since it's what I love to do! Not.
Last night once we left Bongani to finish our bedroom painting, we thought we might need to put a second coat because when we had left it looked a little blotchy. This morning though it looked absolutely fine and so instead of doing a second coat, I did some touchup work around the edges. I also started to scrape paint off of the windows. When Heidi got back and Bongani showed up ready for work this afternoon, we started on painting the sitting (living) room. It is a light light yellow and almost looks white. It took a while, but once we finished, I was standing in the sitting room and looking between the kitchen and bedroom and then was standing in the yellow sitting room and I was thinking man, we've got a colorful flat! It is very colorful even though it's only three colors.
We finished the sitting room and now only have a few details to touch up, but we're done! We'll move on Monday. Probably won't get a chance to get furniture until the middle of this week, whenever E&D can take us to Mbabane to find some used furniture for cheap.
Tonight after dinner (pizza) we headed to the student center, which is actually the upstairs balcony area in the gym, where Timothy Cox said to find him and he wanted to play pool with us...Here it is called Snukers. Like sneakers accept with a "u" instead of "ea". It is the small version of pool and they still call it pool though, but technically it is snukers.
While we were painting, Tim and Trevor visited (Like they always do) and we offered them paint brushes. We were able to sucker Tim into helping us for food. He was hard to convince though. Family tree of the Cox's: Rick and Eunice are the parents. Firstborn is Richard who is in college. Second born is Timothy who is 17 and starting his senior year and will be completely finished in November. Trevor is the last and he is 12 even though he looks so much older because he is so tall. Trevor, Tim said, has chameleons. You know those strange looking little lizards that change a little bit to color into their surroundings. He had three and I asked Tim if he thought that Trevor would let us baby-sit one for the winter (So I can have a pet because I like pets). Tim said, "Probably, since he has two more and he just has the village boys catch him new ones for a rand each if one dies..." A rand is less than .50 cents people. In America, chameleons can sometimes be over $100! Ya think I could sneak one through customs? Just kidding. They eat grasshoppers. Not the world's largest grasshopper though.
We went to the Cox's place after pool to play games and we played quite a few. One game was with dice and I don't remember the name of it. Next we played Skipbo and then Uno. I love playing games. It is good to find people who share my love for game playing.
Next weekend we'll be visiting the abandoned children orphanage and Kruger Park. Details will follow.
Praise:
-We're done with painting!
-I keep meeting new nationals and that makes me so happy!
Prayer Requests:
-That we can find some good furniture for a good price.
-health/safety
-unspoken
Last night once we left Bongani to finish our bedroom painting, we thought we might need to put a second coat because when we had left it looked a little blotchy. This morning though it looked absolutely fine and so instead of doing a second coat, I did some touchup work around the edges. I also started to scrape paint off of the windows. When Heidi got back and Bongani showed up ready for work this afternoon, we started on painting the sitting (living) room. It is a light light yellow and almost looks white. It took a while, but once we finished, I was standing in the sitting room and looking between the kitchen and bedroom and then was standing in the yellow sitting room and I was thinking man, we've got a colorful flat! It is very colorful even though it's only three colors.
We finished the sitting room and now only have a few details to touch up, but we're done! We'll move on Monday. Probably won't get a chance to get furniture until the middle of this week, whenever E&D can take us to Mbabane to find some used furniture for cheap.
Tonight after dinner (pizza) we headed to the student center, which is actually the upstairs balcony area in the gym, where Timothy Cox said to find him and he wanted to play pool with us...Here it is called Snukers. Like sneakers accept with a "u" instead of "ea". It is the small version of pool and they still call it pool though, but technically it is snukers.
While we were painting, Tim and Trevor visited (Like they always do) and we offered them paint brushes. We were able to sucker Tim into helping us for food. He was hard to convince though. Family tree of the Cox's: Rick and Eunice are the parents. Firstborn is Richard who is in college. Second born is Timothy who is 17 and starting his senior year and will be completely finished in November. Trevor is the last and he is 12 even though he looks so much older because he is so tall. Trevor, Tim said, has chameleons. You know those strange looking little lizards that change a little bit to color into their surroundings. He had three and I asked Tim if he thought that Trevor would let us baby-sit one for the winter (So I can have a pet because I like pets). Tim said, "Probably, since he has two more and he just has the village boys catch him new ones for a rand each if one dies..." A rand is less than .50 cents people. In America, chameleons can sometimes be over $100! Ya think I could sneak one through customs? Just kidding. They eat grasshoppers. Not the world's largest grasshopper though.
We went to the Cox's place after pool to play games and we played quite a few. One game was with dice and I don't remember the name of it. Next we played Skipbo and then Uno. I love playing games. It is good to find people who share my love for game playing.
Next weekend we'll be visiting the abandoned children orphanage and Kruger Park. Details will follow.
Praise:
-We're done with painting!
-I keep meeting new nationals and that makes me so happy!
Prayer Requests:
-That we can find some good furniture for a good price.
-health/safety
-unspoken