The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few...

6.10.2005

Day 7 Paint Paint Paint

Early this morning I got up and started to put tape around the main things in the kitchen to be able to start painting. I started to tape the kitchen windows and realized that we should seal around the glass. So I sealed the windows and then started to paint around the window frames with the light blue paint. I didn't get very far when it was lunchtime and stopped to eat my banana and peanut butter sandwich. Soon after that Heidi got back from the school. We decided that it would be good to paint the ceiling before the walls since the paint sprays when you roll the ceiling. So Heidi started to roll the ceiling and the old paint started to roll off. Now, we scrapped all that we could scrape and nothing else came off. The wet paint, though, somehow loosened the old paint and it all rolled off. So Heidi stopped around 3pm and we decided that we would hire a couple of students to finish the job that we were too tired to do.

I am exhausted. After I closed up the flat and returned to the hut, I thought I'd try to take a short nap. I laid down for an hour, freezing cold (It was a cold cloudy day today) and thinking I was going to die because of it. Finally after an hour of rolling around and trying to get warm, I finally got warm, and then I rested. SO, I got up and told Heidi that we need to buy a heater tomorrow. I guess for now, I'm going to continue keeping my eyes open for a fleece blanket.

At about 6pm, we went to the care center where the aids orphans are. Pete and Ethel, missionaries from S.A., were planning on showing the Lion King 3 at 4pm...go figure. I love Africa. So we left with them at 6pm and it was pitch black. Everyone had their flashlights on and waving around. There were some boys kicking around a soccer ball. When we pulled up, some kids swarmed our vehicle and when I got out, they all ran up to me and grabbed my hands, so excited. I love children. They eventually had the kids get in lines, little ones first, for dinner. Of course there were some older kids that were trying to cut, stinkers. Anyway, we all got inside and while setting up the projector and everything, the team members entertained the kids with their flashlights. They would flash them all around like strobe lights and the kids were jumping up and down and whooping in their African way. A couple of times some kids came up to me and wanted me to pick them up and once I picked them up, they soon wanted to be let down or go to another person. Then the movie started. Could tell that many of them had not seen a movie before. It was a special treat for an orphan to watch a movie. They sat and watched with large eyes, entranced. At places I'd laugh and they'd all turn and look at me. It was a funny part of the movie, I couldn't help it! I think a lot of the funny parts they didn't know were supposed to be funny because they didn't understand English. Other places they laughed because the animals were funny. Anyway, I sat down and a girl put her arms around my neck from behind me. Later, a little girl, 6 or 7 was left by the person she was sitting with and so I picked her up and put her on my lap. Throughout the movie she seemed to doze off and then at times she would wake up and sit up. She never really did fall asleep, but she was sweet. After the movie was over, the light was put on and everyone got up accept one little girl who was still lying on the floor. I had a shatangi with me and thought, should I give this to a child who needs it tonight to stay warm? I looked at this little girl that had bare legs on this cold night and thought, God, is this the one? He said, "this is the one." Soon after, another kid poked the girl and she got up. She had a baseball cap on her head and walked off. I thought, well, I'm sure there is another kid here who could use my shatangi to wrap up in. Right before I was about to leave the building I saw her standing by herself with the little cap on her head. I unwrapped my shatangi and put it around her shoulders and said, "This is for you. You can keep it." Then I rubbed her back and then left. She grabbed the edges of the shatangi like she was thankful, but also scared.

God has blessed me tonight. I feel blessed that I was able to give to a child in need. I feel blessed that I could give love to children that haven't been given enough. I just wish there was more I could do.

Praise:
-Time with orphans.
-So far, good health :)

Prayer Requests:
-Mathias to heal.
-Esther has an upset stomach today...vomiting.
-Health and safety.


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?